Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
"A business entrusted with the care of vulnerable loved ones should not betray that trust by allowing them to be abused and neglected on their watch."
- Todd Barsumian
It is not easy to place a loved one in the care of strangers. Families research nursing homes and assisted living centers with great care to ensure their loved one is in a safe, attentive place. Despite these efforts, parents, grandparents and disabled family members are sometimes mistreated causing serious injury or death. When this happens, it is your right to contact a nursing home neglect attorney about filing a negligence or medical malpractice claim for compensation.Nursing Home Injuries Come In Many Forms
Barsumian Armiger considers cases of nursing home negligence or malpractice resulting in serious injury or death arising from a variety of circumstances.
- A resident suffers acute dehydration and malnourishment without explanation.
- A patient is placed on nephrotoxic antibiotics without staff monitoring kidney function, resulting in acute renal failure.
- A patient without skin issues is admitted to the home’s care, but develops bedsores or, if minor skin issues existed upon admission, there is a significant worsening of the skin condition causing severe deterioration of the wound.
- The wrong medications, or the wrong doses, are administered causing complications in a patient predisposed to bleeding or other conditions.
- Staff or other residents physically or sexually abuse a patient.
- The facility fails to complete a proper fall hazard analysis or fails to take the proper precautions after completing such an analysis.
- An immobile resident is placed too close to the edge of their air mattress or the mattress pressure is not monitored, resulting in a severe fall.
- Bed and chair alarms are ordered for a resident but are never used or installed, resulting in falls.
- Staff raises bed rails for a patient who is too weak to move, leading to the resident becoming trapped and suffocating.
- Although bed rails are ordered for a resident, the bed rails are left down, resulting in a fall and broken arm, shoulder, hip or skull fracture.
- A patient’s complaints of pain or other symptoms are ignored, and the patient develops sepsis from an undiagnosed, serious medical condition.
- Staff fails to run essential labs ordered by the nursing home physician.
Below is a chart created from one of Barsumian Armiger's client’s records and utilized to demonstrate how the resident had been severely dehydrated while under the nursing home’s care according to its own data:
Barsumian Armiger uses these and other methods used by many of the best nursing home neglect attorneys in the country to present persuasive cases when—as is often the case in the mistreated elderly—a patient dies from the facility’s negligence or is unable to communicate their mistreatment. Barsumian Armiger helps families right these wrongs in nursing home negligence cases and wrongful death lawsuits arising from nursing home care. The nursing home negligence lawyers of Barsumian Armiger will strive to obtain fair compensation for the neglect and abuse that a nursing home patient has suffered while under the care of a nursing home.Evansville and Indianapolis Nursing Home Lawyers Serving Families in Indiana and Kentucky
Barsumian Armiger strives to present cases in a clear, concise and compelling manner so that the nursing home provider understands the alleged breach of care and the damages that resulted from substandard nursing home care. We will gather records and evidence indicating the extent of the neglectful action and look for contradictions suggestive of a coverup. We can take the testimony of caregivers to pinpoint the failures and attempt to learn whether the same failures have plagued others.
Unfortunately, nursing home abuse often leads to a wrongful death claim. If we take the case, we can help open an estate to pursue a claim through the personal representative, which is required under Indiana's wrongful death statutes.
You are invited to contact the personal injury lawyers at Barsumian Armiger to discuss the facts and circumstances of nursing home abuse and neglect that you or your loved one has experienced. Call an experienced nursing home lawyer at Barsumian Armiger at (844) 268-7775 today to learn more about your rights.