"We buy products under the assumption that they will not cause us or our loved ones to suffer a serious injury or death. Unfortunately, unreasonably dangerous products like cars with exploding gas tanks, asbestos insulation, and lead paint have maimed or killed tens of thousands of innocent people over the years."
- Todd Barsumian
When people are injured or killed because of defective or dangerous products, it is appropriate to consider filing a claim for damages. Product liability suits can involve a wide variety of products: automotive parts such as brakes and airbags, household products such as power tools and appliances, medical devices, construction, and industrial machinery, and harmful drugs and pharmaceuticals.
The defect that causes an accident is generally one of three types:
Defects in manufacturing, such as a new tire whose tread separates, causing a blowout
Defects in design, where a product is unfit for use even when it is made correctly, such as a car that bursts into flames when rear-ended
Defects in communication, meaning the failure to provide adequate product warnings or instructions for safe use of the product
Barsumian Armiger Injury Lawyers represents injured people and surviving family members seeking compensation and accountability for injuries and death caused by products that are defective in any of these three categories. As a former corporate litigation attorney and chair of the product liability section of the Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, Todd Barsumian was once consulted by companies about their product safety concerns and product liability risks. He now utilizes his knowledge and experience to help consumers who have been harmed by businesses and corporation that fail to address product safety risks. He has attended many cutting edge national continuing legal education presentations by the best product liability attorneys in the country. He, in turn, has used this knowledge and experience to benefits his clients and to spot unnecessary product risks in what may have otherwise seemed to the casual observer to be an unpreventable accident. Companies are often faced with difficult choices when placing a product into the stream of commerce and for some, money comes first, even in the face of feasible and inexpensive alternative designs.
We are conservative about the type of product liability cases we will handle due to the significant time and expenses such cases require, but when a case does involve serious injuries or death and a product, we are willing to investigate the whether a product liability lawsuit may be justified. Often times a product liability case may not be apparent on the surface of a serious or fatal injury car accident, however, further investigation may reveal a viable crashworthiness claim due to a structural weakness in a vehicle's design or a defective seatbelt release or failure.
Our product liability attorneys also investigate toxic tort claims involving lead paint exposure, pleural and peritoneal mesothelioma from asbestos exposure, non-Hodgkins lymphoma from glyphosate exposure (RoundUp), multiple myelomas from benzene exposure, and cancers possibly caused by prescription medications such as NDMA-contaminated Valsartan. The following are some of the types of products currently facing mass tort lawsuits and/or allegations of injuries that we are investigating:
- Johnson & Johnson talc and talcum powder: allegations that talc and talcum powder contaminated with asbestos causes ovarian cancer and mesothelioma.
- Elmiron (pentosan polysulfate sodium): allegations that this drug prescribed for painful bladder syndrome, also known as interstitial cystitis (IC), causes pigmentary maculopathy, or macular degeneration, affecting the retina, and resulting in dark spots in vision, blindness, change in eye color, night blindness, blurred vision, and difficulty reading.
- Belviq (lorcaserin): allegations that this drug prescribed for weight-loss poses an increased risk of pancreatic, colorectal, and lung cancer.
- Zantac/Rantadine: allegations that these heartburn medications are contaminated with NDMA, a probable carcinogen, causing bladder and stomach cancer.
- Nexium/Prilosec: allegations that the long-term use of these proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) can increase the risk of heart attack, strokes, bone fractures, acute kidney injury including acute interstitial nephritis (AIN), and renal failure.
- Textured breast implants manufactured by Allergan and others: allegations that these implants can cause anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL), a rare form of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- JUUL: allegations of nicotine poisoning and toxicity including a lung disease known as popcorn lung.
Innovative, Personalized And Experienced Legal Representation from Evansville and Indianapolis Product Liability Lawyers
Barsumian Armiger Injury Lawyers has represented a variety of product liability claims for its clients, including a claim for a severely injured child in a case that prompted a national recall of a product purchased off the shelf of a tri-state retailer after the Consumer Product Safety Commission became involved. Aside from obtaining compensation for our clients, one of the most rewarding parts about being a personal injury and product liability attorney is making the world a safer place for consumers and especially our children. Furthermore, through our active involvement in a variety of organizations formed to help the injured, we have cultivated relationship with a number of national mass tort law firms. We routinely work with our clients to further their interests by enlisting the help of attorneys at these firms across the country who are often on the cutting edge of drug and medical device litigation.
To discuss the merits of your defective products case, call an experienced Indiana product liability lawyer at Barsumian Armiger Injury Lawyers for a no-charge, no-obligation consultation at (844) 268-7775. You can also find additional information about some of the most frequently asked questions of Indiana product liability attorneys here.